This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Matthias is the Lab Manager at NLE, leading the 7 teams composing the research lab of NAVER LABS Europe.
Before that, he led the NLP team for many years and continues to actively contribute to research in that area.
He joined the centre (at what was at the time Xerox Research) in 2011. His PhD is from the INRIA centre in Rennes, France, and before that he obtained his master from FaMAF, (National University of Córdoba, Argentina). Matthias grew up in Germany and spent some years in Brazil. His academic genealogy can be traced back at Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Best thesis (2nd prize ex-aequo), French AI association
- Reviewer awards: NeurIPS 2019, 2020; EMNLP 2018
- Coordinator and teacher for the NLP module at CentraleSupelec (2021 edition here)
- Teaching the NLP module of the deep learning course at MVA
In the press:
- New York Times, USA (data analysis roles);
- La Voz del Interior, Argentina (dangers of AI);
- Scienes & Vie, France (machine-generated fake news)
- Site-leader of the H2020 project SMOOTH (GDPR compliance for micro-enterprises)
- Management Committee member of the COST action Multi3Generation
- Jan'21 ALPS - winter school in NLP - had its first instance... remotely of course.
- Jan'21 EACL: two papers on generation. Full paper on self-supervised and controllable summarization; and a demo on breaking writer's block by fine-tuning GPT.
- Oct'20 Top-10% reviewer at NeurIPS 2020
- Oct'20 Our work around developing a multi-modal biomedical translation model will be presented at the NLP-COVID19 workshop of EMNLP'20
- Sept'20 "Monolingual Adapters for Zero-Shot Neural Machine Translation" was accepted as (short) paper at EMNLP'20.
- July'20 Area chair for Machine Learning track at EACL 2021
- March'20 We are organizing a winter school in NLP
- Jan' 20 Visiting and talking at Univ. of Copenhagen and ITU
- Dec' 19 I am co-chair of the Machine Learning track at COLING 2020
- Dec'19 Top Reviewer at NeurIPS 2019
- Oct '19 Spending a week in UK, visiting and talking at FAIR, UCL and Edinburgh
- Aug'19 Two papers accepted at EMNLP, on predicting performance drop in domain shifts and understanding the efficiency of BPE + two others in workshops (NewSum and TextGraphs)
- Jan'19 My TEDx (Córdoba) talk around the "real dangers of AI" was uploaded
- Dec'18 We are organizing a workshop at ACL: Deep Learning and Formal Languages: Building Bridges
- Oct'18 Best Reviewer Award from EMNLP 2018